Sunshine Quilts

Sunday, October 23, 2005

The Stash is out of Control

In preparation for my journey through "The Artist's Way", I began thinking about what most seems to limit my creativity. And, without a doubt, it is the clutter which I allow to surround me. I've mentioned here before that I was going to make 100 stash quilts. Well, it may have to be 200! For the past several days I have been organizing my stash and getting rid of some pieces I know I will never use. Mostly it was stuff that I had kept that just had smidgens or the fabric was poor quality and I just couldn't bring myself to toss it but . . no more! If it isn't going to get used, it's outta here. Not to give any specifics but . . I have over 2,000 yards currently in my stash. There's no justification for that! It's a waste! It is a waste of space, a waste of money and I should never have done it but I did and I am not going to let it bother me but my promise to myself is that I am not buying fabric unless it is something I *need* for an important project and I have searched my stash and there is *nothing* that will work. Here are a few shots of my newly organized stash. I have all my fabric in my studio which is a fairly small three bedroom home. The longarm is in the master bedroom. In the bedroom where I sleep when I stay in town, there are two twin beds. I had all this fabric crammed in a closet so I spread some of it out on the extra bed. Picture #2 shows all the organized piles on the bed. I'll never use all this fabric! Picture #3 shows the neat stacks! Yes, they are going to stay neat! There are a couple of stacks of greens, (don't ask my why green is the only thing with its own section); a couple of stacks of florals, some stripes, some tone on tones except the Moda Marbles (they are in a stack by themselves on the bed). Picture #4 shows three stacks of batiks and then some not so special pieces that are stacked on the floor. I like them but they aren't my all time favorites. Last, is a picture of the four piles at the end of the bed. The Moda Marbles are in the far right stack. Yep, a stash to be proud of but I am not proud because this is totally out of control and I am going to make a HUGE dent in it. Just watch me! :) JL

6 Comments:

  • Judy. That's impressive. It seems like quilters can be divided into those that proudly grow their stash--one woman in my guild has a 2-room stash--and those that need to have less to create more. I'm with you ... and like you, it's about that time for me to sort through everything and pull out the fabrics that, although I might have loved them once, I know I will never choose to use now.

    By Blogger sophie, at 10/24/2005 03:51:00 AM  

  • Judy -

    Wow! That is some stash! I would love to comeplay in it! I keep telling myself that I have enough fabric to last me for the next 25 years but then the fabric starts calling to me from the quilt stores! We should come up with some sort of stash busting challenge!

    Sarah N.

    By Blogger Sarah, at 10/24/2005 05:02:00 AM  

  • Holy Fabricoly, Judy! ;-)

    It is going to be a joy to see all of the quilts that come out of your fabric collections.

    Will any of your quilts from your upcoming book be "collection" quilts?

    Darcie

    By Blogger Darcie, at 10/24/2005 06:33:00 AM  

  • Um... You made me feel better. I cleaned out my own quilt room, last week, and was feeling a bit overwhelmed. But yours- well, I probably would have collapsed into hysterical giggles. Aren't you gonna have fun?

    By Blogger Nines, at 10/24/2005 09:12:00 AM  

  • Oh Judy! Thanks for the pics! Maybe your pics will get me out of trouble with my husband! I thought I had a lot of unused fabric!!!! Baby - would I love to come shop at your house!

    By Blogger Quilts And Pieces, at 10/24/2005 12:08:00 PM  

  • 2000 yards? I am afraid to count my yardage! I would love to see all your fabric some day!

    By Blogger Samantha, at 10/24/2005 07:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home