Sunshine Quilts

Sunday, November 06, 2005

I hate Tornadoes

I am so afraid of the weather and I wish I wasn't. So, that fear is why I am awake and blogging at 3 a.m. Tornado sirens started going off at 2:30. I'm kicking my rear end for not paying closer attention to the weather. I could've gone home where there's a nice, safe basement but no, I'm stuck here in town swearing I will not get caught here again without my basement. News crew is guessing an F-3 tornado hit Newburgh, IN which is just a few miles from here. They're also saying Henderson, KY had a tornado . . all way too close for comfort. This is what happens when it's warm when it should be cold. We had an F-3 tornado in January, 2000 and I think that's when I developed my fear of the weather. Well, the radar map looks clear so I think I'll venture back to bed . . and sleep with one ear open listening for the tornado sirens. Update Sunday a.m.: WOW! Daylight surely brought a shock. I now realize we were so very lucky. Tornadoes danced all around us but our county was spared. Henderson, KY; Newburgh, IN and Boonville, IN (Warrick & Vanderburgh Counties) all bordering our county were just devastated. Boonville is where my local quilt shop is located. I have talked to Betty (the owner) and they have no damage . . but they don't have power. News is reporting 20 deaths and that number is expected to rise. All we lost was sleep and I am feeling extremely blessed this morning. The yellow quilt I shared here Friday belongs to a lady who lives in Newburgh. Hope she's ok. Judy

7 Comments:

  • Hi Judy,so glad to hear you heard the sirens. I got up this a.m. to the breaking news of the tornadoes that pass through your area early this a.m. And immediatly hope and wondered if you made it through ok...*S* Heard that Evanville Indiana got clobbered...so also worrying about Dawn and Joanne at Porch rocker.
    Darn these weather events anyway !! So glad you are safe. Hugs, Finn

    By Blogger Finn, at 11/06/2005 06:40:00 AM  

  • Hi there,I'm Italy and we don't have tornados,but please take care!
    Peace

    By Blogger Bisha, at 11/06/2005 06:55:00 AM  

  • I'm glad the sirens woke you and that you're OK. When I saw the news this morning, I wondered how many people slept through the warning sirens and had a rude awakening from the tornado.

    By Blogger sophie, at 11/06/2005 07:48:00 AM  

  • Oh Judy, I'm so glad you are safe!! I haven't checked CNN yet for reports, but I'm glad it missed you...

    Bonnie

    By Blogger Bonnie K. Hunter, at 11/06/2005 08:14:00 AM  

  • Judy -

    Glad to hear you are ok. Now that we are living in the south, I am really missing my basement from Indiana! Told my hubby that the next house we build HAS TO have a basement. Yes, I am a big chicken!

    Sarah

    By Blogger Sarah, at 11/06/2005 02:36:00 PM  

  • Glad you are safe! Tornadoes are always scary - we get them passing through our area too many times! But at least you pretty much know the signs from the weather - not like earthquakes!

    By Blogger Quiltgranny, at 11/07/2005 08:23:00 AM  

  • I am blogging about quilting... you may be interested in reading about it...www.quiltersbuzz.com...I have been investigating getting a longarm and doing it for a business. What kind do you have?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/08/2005 07:21:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home