Sunshine Quilts

Monday, July 31, 2006

The RIGHT Fabric!

As much fabric as I ordered, I had to get the right one sooner or later, right? The one on the left is what I needed. I can see how I got confused and ordered the one in the middle but how I ordered the one on the right, thinking it was the one on the left, I'll never know. I ended up with 5 yards of the correct one, 15 yards of the one in the middle and 5 yards of the one on the right. The one in the middle was actually called two different names by two different shops so I thought I had 4 fabrics but I only have 3. And, the reason I was desperate is because I have a quilt half made using that background. Now I can stop fretting about that quilt! We have a plumbing problem and it's probably not a minor one. Last night I walked into Chad's bathroom with no shoes on and . . uh oh . . the floor is toasty warm. Not good . . means there's a water leak somewhere in the concrete foundation probably. The plumber probably can't get here til tomorrow but I'm betting that is not going to be cheap to fix. Part of being a homeowner I suppose. I tried a new recipe for lunch today - Chicken Saltimbocca. It was good and fairly quick and easy to make. . only messed up one pot and that works for me. I had no idea I could buy frozen purple hull peas at Kroger. They tasted pretty good too! The red stuff is Tomato Relish from my great grandma's recipe files. Here's her recipe. The directions are just as she wrote them and the cooking/processing times are left up to your judgment. You want the tomato sauce to get kinda thick -- like salsa. Then when I add the spices, I just let it cook til I figure everything is blended. I processed using the water bath for probably 40 minutes. I ended up filling 12 jelly jars with a whole recipe. Mama Salter's Chili Sauce

1 gallon peeled, sliced tomatoes 1 cup chopped green pepper 1 cup chopped onion 2 T. salt ½ c. sugar 1 pint vinegar 4 Jalapeno peppers, chopped (Grandma didn’t have this – I added it) 1 tsp. Ground cloves 1 tsp. Ground cinnamon

Simmer all ingredients except cloves and cinnamon, til thick. Add cloves and cinnamon and cook longer. Pour into half pint or jelly jars. Process.

Last (and the best part for sugar addicts like me) is the Buttermilk Pie. Chad would never drink a glass of buttermilk but he loves this pie. This is a recipe I've used for 30 years and everyone loves it so don't let the buttermilk stop you from trying it. Here's the recipe for it:

Buttermilk Pie 1-3/4 c. sugar 1/4 c. flour 1/2 c. buttermilk 1/2 c. butter, melted 3 eggs 2 T. lemon juice 1 tsp. vanilla Pinch of salt 1 - 9" pie shell, unbaked Combine all ingredients in the order given. Mix well and pour into pie shell. Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until brown. Filling is set when a light crust forms on top. BTW, I love buttermilk! Judy L.

9 Comments:

  • YAY for getting the "right" fabric. That buttermilk pie sounds good. (I also will not drink it, but I have had buttermilk/oatmeal muffins, so I know it is good to cook with.)

    By Blogger The Calico Cat, at 7/31/2006 11:48:00 AM  

  • So glad you finally got the right background fabric. I was afraid you would buy up all the beige fabric in the country!
    That buttermilk pie looks yummmy.

    By Blogger Bonnie, at 7/31/2006 11:49:00 AM  

  • THe food looks delicious. I must try the buttermilk pie sometime when it's a bit cooler for cooking.

    By Blogger Joyce, at 7/31/2006 12:36:00 PM  

  • The more I see that fabric I love the look. I'll have to sort back and see what the name is and where you ordered it from, because I need some of that!!

    Pie looks good, but I am lactose intolerant and I think buttermilk goes in with that, so no good on the pie! Looks Yummy tho'!

    By Blogger Judy, at 7/31/2006 12:56:00 PM  

  • I've made buttermilk pie for years and my family all love it. Custard is also a favorite.

    By Blogger Saska, at 7/31/2006 01:19:00 PM  

  • Hope that leak doesn't turn out to be a huge problem.

    We had a leak in our last townhouse that required them to jackhammer through the concrete. It was a mess - we lived in a hotel for the 3 months it took them to repair the leak which also damaged my kitchen cabinets and then repair all the damage fixing the leak caused.

    Luckily the insurance paid for everything but fixing the leak.

    By Blogger Mary Johnson, at 7/31/2006 02:49:00 PM  

  • WOO HOO on finally getting the right fabric. I haven't ordered any online so I haven't had to deal with that yet but I am sure in due time I will get there.

    By Blogger just jenn, at 7/31/2006 03:46:00 PM  

  • Looks like you got the fabric in in just the nick of time. Tomorrow starts the no fabric month. You will have plenty to hold you over. Diner looks good.

    By Blogger dot, at 7/31/2006 06:21:00 PM  

  • Glad you found the right fabric. It can be so frustrating when you NEED a certain one and it can't be located.

    I love buttermilk and usually have a quart in my fridge at all times. I use it a lot for different recipes. I have a book called "The Rest Of The Carton" that uses buttermilk in each recipe. I am the only one who in this house who will drink a glass of buttermilk. Try as I might, I can get no takers. They don't now what they are missing.

    By Blogger Libby, at 7/31/2006 07:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home