Sunshine Quilts

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Quilts for Mom

Several years ago I had made a Delectable Mountain quilt, entered it in the Nashua, NH show and it won a ribbon. My dad just loved it so I gave it to him for his birthday that year. Later I found the perfect fabric for making a Stack & Whack so I made a quilt using that fabric for dad and for Vince's brother. My mom is a quilter. She hand quilts and makes beautiful quilts so I never made a quilt for her. You know how it's kinda hard to make a quilt for a quilter! While she was here, she had one of Eleanor Burns' books .. the one with the log cabin, bear paw, trees, etc. She showed me a quilt that she wanted to make and I had already made that quilt so I showed it to her. Ohhh, she loved it! She was writing down where I had put all the colors so I asked her if she wanted the quilt. YES! She did. Kinda surprised me that she wanted it but she did and that was fine. On another day, mom was going through all my quilts and she asked if she could take another one. I told her yes .. pick it out. She couldn't decide between this black one and the blue batik quilt I had posted a while back. I told her to take them both so she left with three quilts. She was thrilled! I was so surprised. Dad told me that mom could never figure out why I had given him two and given her none but he had explained to her that she makes her own and she said that didn't matter. You just never know, huh? They left here this morning around 6. It's always so hard to say goodbye . . especially when I don't even know when I'll see them again so I had a kinda sad day. We've had pretty rough storms tonight and my phones are out but the DSL is still working. Can't figure that one out but I guess if I have to give up anything, the phone is the one I'd choose. Judy

16 Comments:

  • Ohhhh, the quilting on that blue batik is lovely, I wouldn't have been able to choose either!

    By Blogger ForestJane, at 5/25/2006 09:33:00 PM  

  • Oh, Judy, you've made your parents so happy!

    By Blogger sewprimitive karen, at 5/26/2006 05:50:00 AM  

  • Great story! Sounds like you really cherish your parents.

    By Blogger KC Quilter, at 5/26/2006 06:00:00 AM  

  • Oh, gosh, now my eyes are leaking again! Judy, those quilts will be SO cherished! And that moment of joy when you handed them over will be precious both for you and Mom!

    By Blogger Vicky, at 5/26/2006 06:37:00 AM  

  • That is soooooo generous of you to let your mom go thru your quilt stash and pick whatever. :o) And congrats to Chad and his graduation!

    By Blogger Tracey, at 5/26/2006 07:17:00 AM  

  • Sounds like everything with the graduation went well. A very nice picture of Chad, he looks like a very happy young man. It is so much fun to have adult children, I didn't think I would like it but I really like relating to my children as adults. Your Mom is a lucky lady to get three quilts on her way home. It is so hard to say good-bye, I always cry and feel melancholy all day. Glad you had a great time.

    By Blogger dot, at 5/26/2006 07:58:00 AM  

  • wow, how cool is that-your mom getting to chose her own quilts from obviously quite the collection of finished quilts. It is sad not knowing when you will see them again..hope it's not too long a time!

    By Blogger Cher, at 5/26/2006 08:30:00 AM  

  • That is quite the compliment from your Mom! She obviously loves your work! And for good reason. I especially love the blue battik one. Wouldn't that be neat in all flannels?

    By Blogger Laurie Ann, at 5/26/2006 08:36:00 AM  

  • Good choices, Mom. Good also to get to the bottom of the "why didn't she make me a quilt when you have 2?" story.

    I know what you mean about the goodbye scene. I can't do it either. My parents were dropping me back off at my stepson's on Sunday and I could tell my dad was puddling up. I was starting to and Mom would be next. It was Mother's Day after all---I just got out of the car saying "please don't make me do the goodbye hug and wave" and just kept walking. They understood.

    It killed me to do it when we left my grandparents house and it kills me now. Living almost 700 miles from our family may have been our choice but sometimes it is not easy.

    By Blogger Linda C, at 5/26/2006 08:46:00 AM  

  • What a great story! And what a wonderful compliment you mom has given you and also you to her in how special she is that you would gift her with 3 quilts. Thanks for sharing.

    By Blogger Laura, at 5/26/2006 09:40:00 AM  

  • On that note, neither of my kids got baby quilts from anyone- and everyone said it was because I, their mom, make so many quilts, it seemed silly to give them any more. But I was kind of sad not to get any :-( So I understand your mom...

    What lovely gifts you have given both of your parents!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/26/2006 10:28:00 AM  

  • I bet your Mom is going to show those quilts to all her friends and BRAG, BRAG, BRAG about her wonderful quilting daughter! So, now Mom has more quilts than Dad from you! Your Mom made very nice choices for her other 2 quilts!

    Cheers!

    Evelyn

    By Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy, at 5/26/2006 03:53:00 PM  

  • My mom is a hand quilter also. She always crinkled her nose at my long arm adoration. She was an old school quilter.

    I am working on some table runners. (In between chasing down three kids, working, and preparing for our new porch to be put on.) Fortunately, Wednesday is my last day of work for the summer!!! I plan on giving machine quilting a whirl. Oy. I am going to try on my little machine. Have any helpful hints for me Judy? LOL! I will need them!!!

    Have a great week-end!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5/26/2006 07:49:00 PM  

  • Your Mom and Dad have superb taste in quilts and quilters! ;-)

    By Blogger Darcie, at 5/28/2006 05:39:00 AM  

  • that was sweet of you to give your Mom not one, but three quilts. But you know, it takes a quilter to really appreciate quilts. I would be thrilled if someone gave me one of their quilts!

    By Blogger Passionate Quilter, at 5/28/2006 08:05:00 AM  

  • I'm glad your Mom got several of your quilts. I have some my Mom has made and she has some of mine too.

    By Blogger Mary Johnson, at 5/29/2006 04:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home