Sunshine Quilts

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Quilts for Hurricane Victims

A fellow longarmer, Faye, from the LongarmChat group has been working tirelessly to get quilts to Katrina victims in Pass Christian, MS. Faye's church in TN has adopted a church in Pass Christian so she asked for quilts we might could send. I found two in my stash of quilts that were totally finished and two more that have the binding almost finished so I'll get at least four off to her Tuesday. Here are the two that are finished. The first one will be for a little girl. The fabric doesn't show up very well but there are fussy cut ballerinas in the squares. I think most little girls love pink and purple so hopefully this will make someone feel very special. The second one is a pretty basic quilt pattern and I did feathers using variegated thread. It's purple and pink too. Maybe this one will be good for a teen girl. I think I'm going to make a couple more quilts using this pattern. I like it and it leaves room for fun quilting. It's been a busy weekend around here. Chad got a job!! He started working this morning at Kroger as a stocker. He'll work there full time through the summer and be able to work part-time after school starts in the fall. Vince has been looking for several years for a new lawn mower. Vince is one of those kinds of people who researches and researches and then thinks and then does more research. If I needed a lawn mower, I'd go out and buy a lawn mower! In 1997 when we moved here, he bought a Yard Man riding mower. I'm not saying Yard Man is a bad mower but I'll bet I can count on one hand the number of times the grass has been cut . . start to finish . . without that lawn mower breaking down at least once. Last summer Vince decided it was time to get a new mower. Surely not yet! :) The Yard Man now had no fenders, had been on fire several times and in general, looked worse than most mowers you find in a junk yard. Anyway, someone told Vince about a used mower a local mower shop and Mr. Bargain Hunter rushed right over and bought it. I was with him and the whole time I was saying "I wouldn't buy it!" He paid $700 for it and I don't think he ever managed to make it work. It now has a thrown rod (whatever that means) so we had no choice but to buy a new mower. Yesterday, we spent an hour or more at Home Depot. I refused to go to Lowes for another hour and look at the exact same mower and ask the exact same questions to a different sales person. So, he didn't buy one but came home and did more research. We left Home Depot thinking he was going to get the Cub mower but he went back this morning and bought a Toro. Haven't seen it, don't want to see it but I hope it lasts at least 20 years and we never have to buy another mower! I did get a good bit of sewing done yesterday and today. These are all the "A" blocks for the new quilt. The "B" blocks will be finished tonight and tomorrow I will set all the rows together and add the borders and have it in the "to be quilted" pile. Off to finish the "B" blocks! Judy L.

11 Comments:

  • Oh, gosh, those are pretty, Judy! You know those color sing to me!

    And congrats to Vince for making a decision on a mower! Guys! LOL

    I'll keep the church group in mind when I start rummaging through tops. Thanks for telling us about it.

    ((HUGS))

    By Blogger Vicky, at 5/28/2006 06:59:00 PM  

  • they are really pretty Judy, I like them so much. What a wonderful idea for those poor folks

    By Blogger Patty, at 5/28/2006 08:07:00 PM  

  • Oh my goodness - our husbands must be related! Stacy is the king of research! Last weekend we went in search of a new TV after putting up with a picture that rolled over the top 5 inches! Hey it has only been doing that since before christmas! Anyway - we hit best buy and sears. Could not make a decision! Finally I said " I want this one!" Of course they were out of that one but could order it for us and it would be in around June 9th. No we want one today!

    Stacy is also in the midst of researching mowers. His beloved Lawn Boy has given up the ghost. He bought it used 5 years ago. For the month he goes out to the garage and says he has to mow the lawn, but the mower still won't start. So now he is researching. I wonder how tall our lawn will be when he makes up his mind!

    Great quilts! Someone is going to love them!

    Sarah

    By Blogger Sarah, at 5/28/2006 10:19:00 PM  

  • What great quilts! I'm sure they will be well loved by a deserving recipient. Those poor people.

    Love the lawn mower story. So happy for you that it is finally over!

    Congrats to Chad on finding a job.

    By Blogger Ann, at 5/29/2006 06:26:00 AM  

  • love those blocks Judy! great news on Chad getting a job too.

    By Blogger Cher, at 5/29/2006 09:34:00 AM  

  • Judy,
    The "A" blocks are stunning! I'm sure the "B" blocks will be a perfect complement to them! What is this quilt for???
    Hugs
    Laurie
    and lol at vince and the lawnmower...GRRRR...i just go buy a new one

    By Blogger Laurie, at 5/29/2006 04:54:00 PM  

  • OH...forgot...WOOHOO for Chad working FULL TIME!!!!!!!! I bet that makes for a happy mom!!! ;)

    By Blogger Laurie, at 5/29/2006 04:55:00 PM  

  • I love that second intense quilt - wheeeeee. Bet it looks incredible in person with the quilting in there. You're very generous and some lucky girls (or boys, I shouldn't make assumptions) are going to be thrilled.

    By Blogger Tonya Ricucci, at 5/30/2006 08:35:00 AM  

  • I like both of those quilts. I'm sure the recipents will love them.

    By Blogger Mary Johnson, at 5/30/2006 09:22:00 AM  

  • Wonderful quilts to donate, Judy! And - yeah for Chad to get a job! Not always easy to do these days and so accomodating of the place to let him be full time over the summer and part time once school starts!

    Lawn mowers - I will have to post my lawn mower story one of these days...

    And - love your blocks - I think the B blocks must make some sort of secondary pattern (which I love) so I will be happy to see the final result.

    Cheers!

    Evelyn

    By Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy, at 5/30/2006 02:04:00 PM  

  • Can't wait to see the B blocks... are they using the same fabrics?

    By Blogger ForestJane, at 5/30/2006 10:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home