Sunshine Quilts

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Bread & Ghosts!

Here's Vince's salt rising bread. It doesn't have yeast and I'm not sure how it all works (those kinds of details don't really excite me -- just give me some butter for this yummy bread!) so it doesn't rise up a whole lot. This batch should probably have been three loaves instead of four. It's a real packy type bread with a definite sour flavor. I love to cut it into cubes and let it sit out overnight and it turns into crunchy croutons. It takes a couple of days to make it and I think I'm just too impatient. Mom's guild has a challenge and here's how it worked: They took two index cards, drew a crayon out of a box without looking, drew a circle with their crayon on each card and then the rules were announced. They gave one card to the president and they kept one. They have to make a quilt (and it can be very small but can't be very big - I think each side has to be at least 12" but it can't be over 24 x 24) using that color they drew and black and/or white. They can use any shades of the color they drew. Mom drew orange and she was in a panic. I told her I would help her come up with something and I'm thinking Tonya's letters would be great. I drew it in EQ using their letters but I think while mom is here, we'll work with Tonya's letters and see what we come up with. Judy

12 Comments:

  • Wheeeee - Halloween. Looks like a lot of fun. Good luck with the project and let me know if I can help.

    I'm so not a good challenge person. I always want to make what I want to make, not what they want to make me make. Heh heh heh.

    By Blogger Tonya Ricucci, at 5/21/2006 03:09:00 AM  

  • This sounds like a fun challenge! It is great of you to help your mom out with the challenge. I love your suggestion of using Tonya's letters. I am sure that will add some whimsy to this piece!

    By Blogger Silverthimble, at 5/21/2006 06:31:00 AM  

  • a fantastic idea- you get the fun of helping your mom play with Tonya's letters and she gets her challenge quilt done. A win, win!

    By Blogger Cher, at 5/21/2006 08:35:00 AM  

  • Ooh, gosh, that bread looks good! Okay, now I'm officially hungry!

    The Halloween quilt is adorable. You two will have fun with that one!

    By Blogger Vicky, at 5/21/2006 08:50:00 AM  

  • Looks good. Hope we can see the finished quilt. I like the idea of that challenge.

    By Blogger dot, at 5/21/2006 09:29:00 AM  

  • Hey Judy - it's a great design! I can't wait to see it in fabric!

    By Blogger Patti, at 5/21/2006 10:46:00 AM  

  • Judy,
    That bread looks YUMMY!!! I've never heard of salt bread. The Halloween wallhanging looks cute! Have fun with it.
    Hugs
    Laurie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 5/21/2006 05:07:00 PM  

  • I bet the hot car was good place to get bread to rise. My oven does not allow me to set it down to low to let dough rise so I may have to consider that--that is, if I get an urge to want to bake bread again. Gotta love fresh from the oven bread.

    Enjoy your visit with your mom.

    By Blogger Linda C, at 5/21/2006 05:20:00 PM  

  • Don't you love EQ? I think the letters are a great idea.

    I'm curious - did you learn to quilt from your Mom?

    My Mom started quilting right after I did. I remember helping her with her first quilt with my vast experience of having made 1 myself and I'd hand pieced mine because I'd never used a sewing machine before and wasn't sure I wanted to buy one. She at least had a sewing machine and knew how to sew.

    By Blogger Mary Johnson, at 5/21/2006 05:31:00 PM  

  • Bread looks yummy !
    Halloween already, wow that makes it seem like the year is really flying by : )
    Looks like you and your mom are having a great time with the project.

    By Blogger Patty, at 5/22/2006 08:08:00 AM  

  • Vince's bread really does look yummy...don't think I've ever had salt rising bread. I suppose it must be related to sour dough in some way.

    I love the challege you Mom's guild is having...and it just occurred to me...LOL, what if ALL the crayons in the box were orange?? Do they know each others color? What you've come up with is a great design...gotta love the letters.

    By Blogger Finn, at 5/23/2006 03:01:00 PM  

  • Oh bet your mom was happy for the help! Tonya's letters are perfect for it! What a fun challenge!

    By Blogger Quilts And Pieces, at 5/24/2006 11:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home