Sunshine Quilts

Monday, May 15, 2006

Ye Rip What Ye Sew!

My fingers ache, there are threads everywhere . . all over me, all over the floor, all over the quilt, all over the dog. Got the picture? Threads are everywhere. Sometimes I struggle with quilting designs. I marked this quilt Saturday afternoon after debating for hours about the quilting design. After it was marked, I hung it up and looked at it and it just wasn't right. I had used the water soluble marker so I spritzed it, let it dry overnight, came up with another plan and re-marked it all on Sunday. Started quilting this morning and it still wasn't right so what you see are the holes left from having ripped out the stitching. Thankfully, I had only done two squares before deciding it wasn't working. I can tell you these stitches go in a whole lot more quickly than they come out! Needless to say, I accomplished little today. But I have been thinking and thinking and . . well, thinking! Yesterday we went out to the neighboring county to look at a house DH thought might work. It didn't but we were taking the back roads coming home and we passed this log cabin sitting way back off the road and it had a "For Sale" sign on the fence. You could barely see the house from the road but we got enough of a glimpse that we both went "OHHHHHH". Vince stopped, backed up, turned around and we went back. The gate to the driveway was open so we drove in. OMG! You should see this cabin. It's 3 stories with a lake in front, a green metal roof (which I would LOVE to have so I could listen to the rain.) It was just like the log cabins you see in the magazines and it is gorgeous! We haven't seen the inside yet but I've hardly stopped thinking about it today. I'm trying to be reasonable but I'm not sure I'm succeeding. The negatives are:

  • We figured that we need about 3,000 square feet. That gives us room for a nice quilting room and we'd still have enough room to spread out. This house has more than double that.
  • Of course, the price is more than we planned to spend. I say it's not that much more. Vince says it's way more.
  • It is so far back in the woods and I'm such a chicken. You can't see another house anywhere near this place. I think I could stay there at night by myself but if we bought it, I'm not going to have any choice. Really though . . how scared can you get? I max out on the scared scale no matter where I am when it gets dark so does it matter if I'm scared in town or if I'm scared out in the woods?

Hopefully the brochure will arrive tomorrow and it will be just horrible inside and I can stop thinking about it. But .. for now, I can see myself quilting while looking out at the lake, listening to a gentle rain falling on the metal roof! Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Judy L.

12 Comments:

  • So sorry to hear about the tread storm taking place at your house..don't lose Speck in all that thread..*VBS*

    I could get very excited about a possible log home too..hope it works out however you want and need it too!

    By Blogger Finn, at 5/15/2006 09:57:00 PM  

  • Well, you know what I think! LOL

    Quit trying to talk yourself out of it until you see it. You know, maybe it was meant to be that you spotted a glimpse of it and the gate was open and .......

    By Blogger Vicky, at 5/16/2006 06:19:00 AM  

  • That's so exciting about the house. I hope you love it. If it is too much money you could always offer less. If they won't take it you haven't lost anything and maybe they will.

    By Blogger tami, at 5/16/2006 06:34:00 AM  

  • I had no idea you were planning to move again. (I knew the town house was temporary for Chad in school, but I though you would return to your other house.... I though you "owned" both of them...)

    Too bad about the quilt... Hopfully get inspired real soon!

    By Blogger The Calico Cat, at 5/16/2006 07:10:00 AM  

  • Go for it, Judy, dream!

    By Blogger Deb Geyer, at 5/16/2006 07:25:00 AM  

  • What your eye doesn't see, your heart doesn't desire, as my Nana used to always say. I agree with her wholehearted and that is why I always have my eyes open to LOOK - so I can SEE what I want!!! If this one doesn't work out - keep taking nice country drives with DH - never know what you might come across!

    Good luck with stitching and ripping - at least it is only 2 blocks? But still... yuck!

    Cheers!

    Evelyn

    By Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy, at 5/16/2006 09:00:00 AM  

  • So are you moving from the country house? The cabin sounds beautiful. Sorry about all the "unsewing"!

    By Blogger Laurie Ann, at 5/16/2006 10:44:00 AM  

  • Go for it, Judy! I love log home living! Mine isn't as big as that one -- but we have plenty of room -- I could, realistically, set up the entire finished basement as a sewing studio -- with plenty of room for a 14' long arm table! Being out in the country alone in the woods is so peaceful and quiet -- you could learn to love it!

    By Blogger Joanne, at 5/16/2006 02:05:00 PM  

  • A log cabin, how wonderful. It took me a couple of months to get use to being by myself in the middle of nowhere at night (with no means of escape as we only have one car!) but now I wouldn't have it any other way.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/16/2006 03:04:00 PM  

  • Get yourself a nice big dog. Labs are very protective with good dispositions. Dogs hear everything. If they respond to a noise you'll know it's something to check on. If they don't respond it's nothing. They will also pick up any new smell. Enjoy your country home ( I hope you get it). I'm a city girl that moved into the country in 1977 and I'm still here. I also still have dogs.
    Anne

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/16/2006 03:11:00 PM  

  • Been there, done that with the house on the lake thing! I hope it works out for you...a log cabin on a lake is my dream...still!

    By Blogger Carolyn, at 5/16/2006 04:44:00 PM  

  • The quilting on the black quilt looks amazing - even with the black thread!

    I was nervous about staying at night by myself when Adam moved out in November - Keith travels a LOT! I find I don't mind as much as I thought I would.

    When we bought the condo here in Big Canoe we looked at a bunch of houses including a beautiful one on the top of a mountain - I told Keith I just couldn't do it. The view was great but there was a steep drop off the back of the house and the roads were very scary. Not a place I'd choose to stay alone.

    By Blogger Mary Johnson, at 5/17/2006 07:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home