Sunshine Quilts

Sunday, May 14, 2006

The Black Quilt

Anyone want to name this quilt? I have the hardest time coming up with names. Here it is, still covered in lint and threads but I looked outside and realized the lighting was maybe the best I can get in hopes of the stitching showing up. This quilt is 75 x 75 and I used a little over 6,000 yards of black thread with all the microstippling. I had originally wanted to use some variegated thread and had the perfect cone but it just didn't work out that I could use it. All of the feathers were the type where I have to backtrack and that wouldn't work very well with variegated thread. I thought about doing the microstippling with a very dark gray thread, almost black but it would have caused the background to be just a little lighter than the feathers and thus, the feathers would have shown up better. But, I really didn't think that would add to this quilt. I was afraid that by graying the black, the lavender and lime fabrics might look muted. So, I spent a week doing quilting that barely shows up! Oh well, what else would I have been doing? :) The black is the Amish Black from Keepsake but I think I will stick with the Michael Miller Jet Black from now on. The remainder of the fabrics are batiks. Every square inch of this fabric (except the backing) came from the stash. Here are a couple of other photos. Please excuse the fuzz, thread, lint and dog hair that might show up. I will clean it up before submitting any pictures for shows or contests. I still have to do the handwork so there's no use worrying about cleaning it til I'm finished with all that. This is a closeup of one of the center blocks. Four of these blocks make up the center. I did "stones" in the black area of the center, then did the stones in the longer lavender points. This was another area I hadn't planned on quilting but these points wanted to poof. Then the outer part of the points (purple/turquoise part) needed something. I was pretty much out of ideas at this point so I did just some measured straight lines using a purple/turquoise variegated thread. Next picture shows the feather motif that is in the inner border. This is a feather stencil by Pepper Cory (PC1841 from Stensource). This was the first time I've used this stencil and I loved it. I really like the long, slender, curvey feathers. I had not intended to do any stitching in the lime and lavender borders but when all the rest of the quilt is so heavily quilted, even the smallest area left unquilted will seem to poof and look empty. When I see a quilt that has this type area, I find that my eye goes to the poofy, unquilted area first and that takes away from the rest of the quilting. So, I did the stones in the black narrow area, then did half feathers in the lime and lavender strips. This picture shows the very outer border. The stencil used is a Judy Allen feather (GT-JA3 from Golden Threads). I added the "stones" in the center because I also have those several other places in the quilt and figured that helped bring it all together. This stencil was a fun one. So, now you know why my family had sandwiches all week last week! Judy L.

19 Comments:

  • Liquorice Delight. I dunno ......

    Judy, this is absolutely stunning!! Whatever you name it, it's going to be a winner!

    ((HUGS))

    By Blogger Vicky, at 5/14/2006 07:04:00 PM  

  • I like that! Licorice Delight! My quilt has a name!!

    Thanks Vicky!

    By Blogger Granny, at 5/14/2006 07:11:00 PM  

  • Judy,
    AWESOME quilt! And the quilting makes it a STUNNER!!! I LOVE Vicky's name for it as well!
    Hugs
    Laurie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 5/14/2006 07:21:00 PM  

  • Judy its gorgeous ! The wedges of lemon and lime remind me of pie !
    I like Lemon lime licorice : )

    By Blogger Patty, at 5/14/2006 07:56:00 PM  

  • Aw, geez, I used to be a good speller! LOL!

    It was good talking to you, Judy. I've missed your 'axsent'!

    xoxox

    By Blogger Vicky, at 5/14/2006 09:24:00 PM  

  • Simply spectacular Judy. I like Licorice Delight!

    By Blogger Patti, at 5/14/2006 09:37:00 PM  

  • Please send the quilt to my house and I will come up with a name for it! HAHAHA! It is BEAUTIFUL! I am hoping someday I will attempt an Amish quilt. They are really my favorite!!!

    Just stopping by to wish you a Happy Mother's Day! (Whats left of it!)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5/14/2006 09:55:00 PM  

  • It's wonderful and the quilting is truly outstanding - I could see it in the photos, but I sure don't know how YOU could see it when you were doing it! And I think Vicky's name is perfect.

    Cheers!

    Evelyn

    By Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy, at 5/15/2006 03:55:00 AM  

  • Judy, it's fabulous! Beautiful design, amazing quilting...a winner for sure!

    By Blogger Carolyn, at 5/15/2006 05:43:00 AM  

  • wow, all that gorgeous quilting-really make for one stunning quilt-and the perfect name as well-yay, Vicky. I hope it wins an award Judy as you really put so much into it.

    By Blogger Cher, at 5/15/2006 07:26:00 AM  

  • Lovely quilt!

    By Blogger The Calico Cat, at 5/15/2006 07:56:00 AM  

  • Yes, that quilt looks good enough to eat! Love it!

    By Blogger Laurie Ann, at 5/15/2006 09:21:00 AM  

  • I love all the quilting - and you know what? It does show up - not screaming in your face, but delicate like quilting should be! Or so I think, anyway! Beautiful - when I first saw it, I thought Aurora Borealis, but then I read Licorice Delight, and I like that too.

    By Blogger Quiltgranny, at 5/15/2006 11:38:00 AM  

  • Judy it is gorgeous! I love that lime green and purple with the black! And I'm a sucker for feathers!

    By Blogger Quilts And Pieces, at 5/15/2006 01:03:00 PM  

  • I don't have a suggestion for a name, but just wanted to say your quilt is AMAZING! The quilting you did is truly impressive.

    By Blogger France C., at 5/15/2006 03:35:00 PM  

  • wow, just BEAUTIFUL!

    I love what you did with the borders, and am just speechless at the thought of 6000 yards of thread.

    By Blogger ForestJane, at 5/15/2006 09:39:00 PM  

  • Wheeeee, it glows. Love the colors and wish I could see that quilting in person. Beautiful job.

    By Blogger Tonya Ricucci, at 5/16/2006 04:23:00 AM  

  • Licorice Delight works--yeah, Vicky for coming up with that one.

    Gorgeous quilt, Judy! Is this the EQ challenge or have I got them mixed up?

    By Blogger Linda C, at 5/16/2006 07:03:00 AM  

  • What a fantastic quilt! I really love your quilting and especially the "stones" all throughout the quilt. Yep - this is a real stunner!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/17/2006 01:41:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home