Sunshine Quilts

Friday, May 12, 2006

Teacher Quilts

You might think once my son graduates, I'd be finished making teacher quilts but apparently, it's just almost over. Earlier this year I told Chad I probably wouldn't have time to make quilts for his teachers this semester due to the other commitments I have. He was fine with that but this week, he's brought up a couple of times that he wished we had made quilts for two of the teachers he had this semester. The third teacher is a man and Chad didn't think he'd really be interested in a quilt. Then he said . . oh, and there's Mrs. Cook. I've had her three times and she's never gotten a quilt. He has had Mrs. Cook for three different nine week classes and it always happened that it was not a quarter that ended at Christmas or the end of the year and I just never made her a quilt. Today I noticed Chad going through my stack of quilts. He said he was just looking to see if there was anything he thought his teachers might like. I told him I would make them quilts but they wouldn't get them til next year. He was fine with that. So, I sent them all e-mails and explained that they would get a gift but it would be next year and asked about their favorite colors. So, I have a blue quilt, a red quilt and an "any color" quilt to make. Chad's happy so I'm happy. As I was looking through the pictures of the teacher quilts on my webshots page (they're not all there because I either never took pictures or forgot to post them), a couple of my favorites are: This quilt was was made for Mrs. Orgeron. She was Chad's third grade teacher when he was at Hamilton Christian Academy in Lake Charles. I've liked a lot of his teachers but I think Mrs. Orgeron will always be my favorite. She was so special that her quilt was even hand quilted!! It is made from Wendy Etzel's book, The Collectible Quilt. My next favorite was this Sunbonnet Kitty quilt from Janet Kime's book, The Cat's Meow. I even hand appliqued these cats! I've actually made this quilt twice. The first one was a gift to a friend's daughter probably in the mid-90's either when she graduated or got married . . can't remember. Anyway, this particular cat went to Mrs. Wells who was Chad's 7th grade English teacher. Chad always hated English but he loved Mrs. Wells and he did better in her class than he's ever done in English. Of course, Mrs. Wells loves cats! I know the teachers can all say nice things about Chad now that he's out of their classes but here's what they each had to say in their e-mails back to me:

  • I have enjoyed having Chad in class this semester—it was never dull!! One of the lessons I learned from him is how much kids relate to music. I have actually altered some of my lessons to include analysis of song lyrics, in part because of Chad. He is such a positive force and was always very respectful and kind to me.
  • I have loved having Chad in class. He is a very special, kind hearted kid!
  • I will miss Chad. He NEVER passes me without a big hello.

Now that makes a mom feel good! Judy L.

8 Comments:

  • heheh, kinda wish I was chads teacher too : )

    By Blogger Patty, at 5/12/2006 08:53:00 PM  

  • Those are wonderful emails! You've made quilts for all his teachers? I suppose with a 2 and 3 year old, my time isn't as free as it will be when they are in school...I feel like except for my Dear Jane, I'm working on quilts for others constantly and taking years to get them done! I am amazed at how much you do!

    By Blogger Cathi, at 5/13/2006 01:30:00 AM  

  • Wow, Judy. I know Chad's teachers will never forget him....OR his wonderful mother! How very nice of you! Isnt' it lovely to hear such nice things about our children? I have this memory of running into a lady at the grocery store and she asked, "Aren't you Sara's mom?" She had been a substitute teacher in Sara's class the week before and just had to stop me and tell me what a polite little girl I had!Talk about making a mama proud! Ahh......memories......Sara is going on 22 years old now!(and I'm STILL proud!)

    By Blogger Ann, at 5/13/2006 05:54:00 AM  

  • You are so very generous, Judy L! And you've raised a fine son to go hunting through your stacks for his teachers. Thank God some teachers are still having a positive influence on kids!

    By Blogger Darcie, at 5/13/2006 06:58:00 AM  

  • Oh too funny - looking through the stack for teachers gifts! Very nice of you to make THREE more teacher quilts - and this is after graduation!!! The teacher quilts you have showed us so far are all very nice - sure to be cherished for years!

    Cheers!

    Evelyn

    By Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy, at 5/13/2006 03:32:00 PM  

  • Judy,
    It's comments like that that make you KNOW you did a GREAT job raising him! Congrats!
    Hugs
    Laurie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 5/13/2006 03:44:00 PM  

  • Wow what a generous person you are Judy. Chad should be as proud of his mother as she is of him!

    By Blogger Laura, at 5/15/2006 09:52:00 AM  

  • This is a great postt

    By Anonymous Allison, at 6/17/2022 07:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home