Sunshine Quilts

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Finishing UFO's

If you aren't a quilter, a UFO is an unfinished object. Most quilters seem to be starters vs. finishers. I haven't quited figured out why I don't do a better job of finishing my quilts, although I do finish quite a few. I love the planning stage - deciding on a pattern/design, then I love choosing the fabrics, whether I'm buying new fabrics or pulling from the stash. I love making the first few blocks to see how it all goes together, but then I lose interest. It can get pretty boring to keep making the same blocks over and over. When we moved to KY in 1997, I began going to estate sales and auctions. I realized that finished quilts, almost no matter how badly they were constructed or how worn, would sell and quite often, sell for way more than I thought they were worth. Half finished tops or even neat little bags with all the cut pieces organized and waiting to be constructed, wouldn't sell at all. I began to think . . when I'm gone, do I want my half finished tops or my Wal-Mart bags stuffed full of cut pieces and strips to be sold for $1 or $2? I've labored over choosing the correct fabric for the designs, and no one can make my quilts like I can. That's when I began to make a concentrated effort to finish my UFO's. Before beginning this post, I would have considered that I was doing an excellent job of finishing projects. After taking inventory, I think I might be failing miserably at finishing projects. This picture shows 25 tops that are finished and just waiting to be quilted. 25 is a lot of tops to be quilted! Think what that number would be if I didn't have my own longarm! On second thought . . don't think about that number! There are probably just as many that need the binding finished and I refuse to think about how many tops are started and not nearly to the point of waiting to be quilted. I will do better! I will make an effort to finish more tops before starting others. As to the log cabin . . NO! Not the log cabin that we're going to look at in 6 hours (but who's counting?), I'm about halfway finished with the quilting on the red log cabin star. I'm thinking . . the last two quilts I have done have been log cabin related - the black quilt has those little cabins in the border and now this red one has log cabins that make up the center. I so rarely make anything with the log cabin block. Maybe that's a sign??

14 Comments:

  • oh that reality check and the pain it brings. Of course I think having 25 finished tops is at least a huge accomplishment. And, it does tell you-maybe more personal quilting time needs to be on your schedule! You sure do not lack for projects to work on Judy!

    By Blogger Cher, at 5/17/2006 09:03:00 AM  

  • I hardly ever read my horoscope, but I did this morning and cut it out. I'm real goal-oriented, so this caught my eye.

    "Leo - Though goals helps you move foward, not everything has, is or should be a goal. The item that's been riding on your to-do list for ages now can safely be deleted, even if you never complete it. Your energy is instantly freed."

    Judy, close the closet door and forget about them for a while. Besides, you'll visit them again when you have to pack them up for the move to the LOG CABIN!!!!

    ((HUGS))

    By Blogger Vicky, at 5/17/2006 09:29:00 AM  

  • Your reality check about the value of partial projects after we go is so true. You know i'm a thrift store junkie, and it really makes me cry to find partial projects dumped there... At one point, someone loved them and probably spent a good bit of $$ on them, but eventually, they end up as nearly trash. Scary to contemplate our treasures as trach, hmm?

    Good luck with those 25 plus tops!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/17/2006 10:46:00 AM  

  • I don't have 25 quilts waiting to be quilted, but I'm willing to bet there are at least 10 projects waiting to be finished off.

    I'm more interested in your visit to the LOG CABIN this afternoon - how exciting! Can't wait to read all about it.

    Doodlebug
    Gail L.

    By Blogger Doodlebug Gail, at 5/17/2006 11:36:00 AM  

  • Judy, you accomplish more than all the quilters I know...combined! Don't worry about your 25 tops, they will get done.

    Good luck at the log cabin...according to the time on my computer you should be on your way there now. I hope you brought your camera!

    A question...where did you get the thread racks on your wall?

    Carolyn

    By Blogger Carolyn, at 5/17/2006 01:19:00 PM  

  • Personnally I love log cabin quilts so welcome to the club!! The red one looks beautiful. I also was concerned about the bags of unfinished projects...doing our will I specifically named the three people who could make decisions on my quilts and quilt room. The lawyer thought that very strange but went along with it!! Non quilteres just don't understand!

    By Blogger YankeeQuilter, at 5/17/2006 02:09:00 PM  

  • Judy,
    You sure accomplish a LOT...don't sweat the small stuff!
    Hugs
    Laurie

    By Blogger Laurie, at 5/17/2006 04:55:00 PM  

  • As the quilting daughter of a quilter, I can relate to UFOs. I have at least 4 of Momma's that have yet to be finished. It's hard, but you can finish them.

    Hugs,
    Melinda

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5/17/2006 05:03:00 PM  

  • I was just browsing, and first came across your entry at the end of last year where you said you were going to finish four quilts a month. That means, what, that you have 18 quilts done? LOL. Your quilts look beautiful as they are, but I fully understand trying to get them out of the yard sale stage. It is awesome that you do have so many pieced tops, and a long arm will certainly help get them done quickly. Just remember to keep it fun and not become a slave driver to yourself.

    By Blogger Shelina, at 5/18/2006 07:17:00 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Shelina, at 5/18/2006 02:06:00 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Shelina, at 5/18/2006 02:08:00 PM  

  • Judy, Thanks for your note on my blog. I have another all blue quilt, the Arkansas Snowflake pattern from quilters cache. It's not as quick as a cobblestone, but very pretty. You can see a picture of it at www.surnamegenealogy.com.

    P.S. sorry for all the deletions. Trying to get you a link that works.

    By Blogger Shelina, at 5/18/2006 02:09:00 PM  

  • That's a lot of tops and I have a bunch too but they don't bother me as much as UFO's that haven't made it to the finished top stage. Those I know would just be scrapped if something happened to me - at least my sister could finish quilting my tops.

    This year I'm focusing on UFO's but after a great start - I've finished 8 - I haven't made much progress recently. I think it's partly because I've been working on those UFO's in the piecing stage.

    By Blogger Mary Johnson, at 5/21/2006 05:26:00 PM  

  • Oh Judy, you are a tease! I see "glimpses" of some great tops in that pile! One here and one there will add up - very good thing you have a long arm!

    Cheers!

    Evelyn

    By Blogger Evelyn aka Starfishy, at 5/23/2006 05:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home