Sunshine Quilts

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Storms Brewing

For those of you who have read any of my posts, you know I'm terrified of bad weather. I didn't used to be but in 2000, we had an F-3 tornado right through the middle of here and it was just horrendous. Having lived my whole life in south Louisiana, I had never experienced tornadoes . . not that having grown up around them makes them any less frightening. Then 10 or so days ago, we had the F-3 just across the river that killed about 25 people. So, today, we've been warned . . they're coming. Schools let out just after lunch. Everyone has been told to get your emergency plans in place. We left the house in town where I quilt which has no basement and came out to the house in the country that does have a basement. My car is loaded with as much as I could throw in there in about 10 minutes and I feel like I am sitting and waiting for Dooms Day! I just received an e-mail from my friend, Becky, and here's part of what she told me: If I get blown away, it has been a real pleasure knowing you, thanks for all the good times. Thanks, Becky .. that's encouraging! I'll just go hang out in the basement for a few hours. I brought some quilts that needed the binding stitched down so I can occupy my hands. I think by 5 or 6 p.m. we should be safe. Will report back then. Judy

3 Comments:

  • Judy - hope things turn out ok for you!

    We got stuck at a friends house once when the tornado siren went off. I was at a picnic there with 4 small children. Well about 30 of crammed down in their basement - the lights went out so there we all sat in the dark. My youngest, then about 3 cried and cried so hard she threw up all over a bunch of people! (and don't forget it was dark)!

    It was awful at the time but a fun story now. And yes a tornado did touch down about 3 miles from there but luckily no one was hurt and no major damage. Plenty of damage to some houses - but not destruction.

    By Blogger Quilts And Pieces, at 11/15/2005 02:13:00 PM  

  • Judy, prayers are going out to you and your family. I hope you make it through this safely and hope that no tornadoes come to visit...anywhere at all! I'll be checking to make sure you're okay!

    By Blogger Carolyn, at 11/15/2005 03:54:00 PM  

  • Tornadoes are terrifying. I saw the news tonight and wondered how you were fairing -- hope they go right on by without touching down. Hugs and prayers.

    By Blogger Joanne, at 11/15/2005 04:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home