Sunshine Quilts

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Garage Doors

If ever I build another house, I am going to have a carport and NOT a garage. Am I the only one who has horrible luck with garage doors? I hate them! At our home, several years ago I managed to totally destroy the garage door. We had to replace it. (No, I didn't run into it!) There must've been (yes, there was!) something (a bucket behind my car so I couldn't see it) under the door. I hit the button to put the door down, it hit the bucket and went back up, I hit the button again (and probably again) and finally, the door just crumpled around the bucket. We replaced that door and then Vince managed to get a Nordic Track ski tangled up in the new door and messed it up. It was fixed . . somewhat, but it still works. Then, the garage door at my studio. It was an old door with regular glass. When Vince repainted the door, he took the trim off around each pane and then as he was putting the trim back, he broke 6 out of 8 of the panes. You never get good results when nails go through glass! Couldn't just change the glass because you now have to use some kind of safety glass and it was going to be about $200 to replace the glass. Who cares if the glass is broken? So, we left it. Then, as is often the case when things go wrong, Vince goes out of town. I came home one morning and as I put the garage door down, I heard a pop (that big spring), the door fell, every pane shattered and glass went everywhere and. . the garage door will not open. Another new double garage door! But, what really set me off is this. I never carry a house key. Never have. Yesterday morning I returned from taking Chad to school. The garage door would not open. OK . . no house key, every window is locked tight and the garage will not open. Could be the electricity is off but that rarely happens in town. I called the house from the cell phone to see if the answering machine picked up. Yes, so I knew the electricity was on. Called Vince. He said he'd come to my rescue. What a husband! But right before he got here, I clicked the button and it opened. He changed the battery in the opener and now it seems to work. But . . just in case it ever does that again, I now have a front door key on my key ring and I put a new battery in the old remote opener and I keep it in my car too! Judy L.

2 Comments:

  • I have had that garage door crumpling thing too! I don't remember what I shut the door on, could be that Dave's pickup was sticking too far out, and my depth perception is nearly zero.....I hate garage doors and can commiserate with you!

    Bonnie

    By Blogger Bonnie K. Hunter, at 9/27/2005 06:46:00 AM  

  • LOLOLOL! There's something to be said about a personality type that when "at first you don't succeed"... FORCE IT!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/30/2005 04:13:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home