Sunshine Quilts

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Darned Hurricane!

If you're a praying kinda person, please pray for the people in southwest Louisiana and along the Texas coast. My family is all in Lake Charles, LA and that's where I'll always call "home" but I'm afraid they're about to get nailed. Seeing the devastation, heartbreak and loss in New Orleans was terrible but it doesn't compare to the feelings I have now knowing my family is in the direct path of Rita. A mandatory evacuation order was just issued for the area in which my family lives so they're leaving. They had their vehicles full of gas and loaded yesterday so don't ask me why as of 9 a.m. this morning, they're still "getting ready to leave". Have you ever thought of how to decide what to take with you when you have a house full of your life's memories and possessions and you know you can only take what will fit in your car? They're going to their camp in north Louisiana (I think they should go farther . . like come to Kentucky!) The trip usually takes 2 hours but Dad said they're expecting to take 6 or more hours to get to there today. I wish they'd left yesterday. Not much else I can do and the news is making me cry so I think it's time to turn off the TV/radio, plug in the Ipod, fire up the longarm and hope for the best. Judy L.

3 Comments:

  • Oh Judy...I'm so sorry that you and your family are having to deal with this. I most definitely will keep them and you in my prayers. Please let us know how they (and their home) fare.
    Happy quilting today!

    By Blogger Tracey, at 9/22/2005 08:39:00 AM  

  • Judy,
    I've been meaning to ask if your family has been affected by the hurricanes.
    You KNOW that we will all have them in our thoughts. And I myself will definitely be praying for their safety and your wellbeing as well.
    Yes, stay busy if you can. Use your art to heal.
    Darcie
    On a lighter note...I'm still dyeing today...I think I should have left some of my duds be duds. A couple are even duddlier! ;-)

    By Blogger Darcie, at 9/22/2005 09:06:00 AM  

  • I'll definately keep your family in mind Judy. My brother and his pregnant, having labor pains as of 2 days ago wife live in Houston. We've not been able to reach them so don't know if they've evacuated or not.

    I was just sick watching the news yesterday, with the traffic backed up like it is. I am baffled that FEMA seems to have dropped the ball again, one would think they would be down there directing traffic on the inbound lanes, which are empty, to allow outbound traffic to leave.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/23/2005 02:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home