Sunshine Quilts

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Chicken Recipe

I want to share this recipe with you because it will give you more time for quilting! This is a yummy recipe. You season the chickens the night before, then bake them at 250 for 5 hours (while you quilt!) No fuss, little mess and a wonderful meal. The leftovers make fantastic chicken salad (I usually remove the leftover chicken from the bone and chop, add some toasted walnuts, celery, grapes, mayo, a little curry powder, sometimes add sliced radishes or chopped avocado. And, if you don't like some of the spices used, just leave them out (so long as it isn't the salt!) Once you make it and see if you like it, you can make up "spice bags" -- make up the spice mix in bulk (like if you're making 10 servings,you would use 10 x 4 tsp. salt, etc.), mix it all in a bowl, then put smaller portions in little ziplock bags. If you need a little "thinking of you" gift, write the recipe on a pretty card, and attach the ziplock bag with the spices. And, while we're at it . . have you noticed how expensive spices are? I sometimes order in bulk from Atlantic Spice. If you split up some of the big bags of spices with friends and neighbors, it's really economical. Here's the recipe. Let me know what you think about it if you try it. Roast Spicey Chicken 4 teaspoons salt 2 teaspoons paprika 1 teaspoon onion powder 1 teaspoon dried thyme 1 teaspoon white pepper 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper 1/2 teaspoon black pepper 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder 2 onions, quartered 2 (4 pound) whole chickens In a small bowl, mix together salt, paprika, onion powder, thyme, white pepper, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder. Remove and discard giblets from chicken. Rinse chicken cavity, and pat dry with paper towel. Rub each chicken inside and out with spice mixture. Place 1 onion or 1 lemon (or both) into the cavity of each chicken. Place chickens in a resealable bag or double wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight, or at least 4 to 6 hours. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Place chickens in a roasting pan. Bake uncovered for 5 hours, to a minimum internal temperature of 180 degrees F (85 degrees C). Let the chickens stand for 10 minutes before carving. Happy Cooking . . Judy L.

4 Comments:

  • Judy,
    This recipe sounds great! I make something similar (you're much more organized than myself though!)...but I like the sound of adding the cayenne powder. I'll have to start out sparingly for my family.
    I love chicken left-overs...chicken salad being my favorite! We'd get along just great, Judy!
    I'm dyeing today. Experimenting, actually. I had some duds, and I thought "Why not?"
    Thanks for sharing your recipe! My day to get groceries is tomorrow, so a couple of birds are on my list! (My rooster and henny can stop shaking with fright now!)
    ;-)
    Darcie

    By Blogger Darcie, at 9/20/2005 10:50:00 AM  

  • Sorry...just thought I'd add...celery makes a tasty substitute for salt. I put chunks of celery in the cavity of my chicken, along with the lemon and onions.
    Just thought I'd share! ;-)
    Darcie

    By Blogger Darcie, at 9/20/2005 10:54:00 AM  

  • Oh gosh your making me hungry!

    By Blogger Quilts And Pieces, at 9/20/2005 04:00:00 PM  

  • I tried Judy's chicken last night (& Sewed the full 5 hours that she was in the oven!) it was wonderful.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/26/2005 06:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home