Sunshine Quilts

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Some Days!

Before anyone thinks I'm being a wimp, I understand that in the grand scheme of things, I'm having a good day. Things could be a whole lot worse but if I can just whine for a few minutes, maybe I'll feel better. I just had a good cry and I thought that had solved my problem but maybe not. Vince is on his way home and he'll say "oh, honey, why are you crying?" and that will make it worse. I wish he would just say grow up! and I'd probably . . well, maybe I'd grow up! Vicky's brother's home burned last night and they lost everything so . . that alone is reminding me that my troubles are small. To start this long story . . I'm not a good flyer. I hate flying! I hate the feeling of being herded into an airplane and having no control over my life, my belongings or my schedule. I had not flown since 9/11. Yes, my husband flies all the time; my son flies back and forth to Louisiana and they both get so aggravated with me because I will not fly. When I had to make a choice of driving 14 hours each way to get home after Daniel's accident, it was an easy choice. I hopped right on that airplane and was very happy to do so. Maybe I'd crossed a hurdle. Maybe flying wasn't so bad. Today is Daniel's birthday. He would have been 27 today. I knew this was going to be a difficult time for my parents so I had decided maybe I would try to go home. I checked flights to leave on Monday and I was going to try to come home on Saturday. Vince is leaving Sunday and I kept thinking . . what if something happens and I can't get home on Saturday, Vince leaves on Sunday . . Chad would be home alone. I tried to get a flight for Friday and couldn't get it so I decided not to go home this week. Now . . with all this terrorist crap, if I had gone home, I probably would not have flown back. Hey . . that's an idea! Get stranded in Louisiana and have to stay there! Seriously, I'm sitting here thinking (feeling sorry for myself) that just when I thought it was safe to fly . . it isn't. Why can't people just be nice? Why do they want to hurt us? And the icing on the cake .. remember the plumber from hell that we had last week? The reason he was here was that the bathroom floor was warm . . not WET but warm so I knew we had a hot water leak. That was all . . no dripping pipes, no wet carpet. So we paid this weird guy $700 to fix the pipe. Want to know how weird he was? While Vince was sitting here paying him, trying to carry on a conversation, the guy asked us if we were swingers. Heck, I wouldn't have even known what it meant except my quilt group was talking about it a while back. NO! We are NOT! And, in the unlikely event we were, this dude would not have been invited to my party! This morning I get up. Vince is at work so I call and talk to him and he tells me about the terrorists and the airplanes and that kinda got me . . more angry than anything else. I thought about mom and dad and how bad their day is going to be. OK . . enough of that. Get a shower and get started. I walk into my dressing area (carpet) and there's water . . everywhere! This is the area where the plumber had cut the pipes and put them back together again. Well . . he almost put them back together again. What a mess! There's water everywhere in there. The carpet is wet and guess what else is wet . . fabric! Lots of fabric! I know . . my fault for having some of it stacked on the floor. Another plumber (from the same company) is here but I like this guy. He fixed my leak last year and I almost asked for him when I called about the hot water leak and I didn't. Wish I had! They just arrived with a wet/dry vac and as soon as the leak is fixed, I'll begin washing fabric. How much fun can a girl have in one day?

16 Comments:

  • I am SO SORRY about the flying :( It stinks. ((hugs)) for the sad birthday. And ack about the wet floor/fabric! Hope your days goes nothing but up from here! xoxo melzie

    By Blogger Melzie, at 8/10/2006 08:49:00 AM  

  • Sounds like one of those days allright ! I am sending you a sympathy hug - and please kick the plumber guy who messed up a kick in the (_Y_) for me too.

    By Blogger Hanne, at 8/10/2006 09:07:00 AM  

  • Days like this make me wonder if it's really Monday and not Thursday! Hope things ease up soon.

    By Blogger Leah Spencer, at 8/10/2006 09:32:00 AM  

  • you are having a BAD day!! hope things improve.

    I am set to fly on vacation on Sunday to Colorado.. I won't think twice about getting on the plane. we can't let terrorists scare us into not living our lives.. I'm putting myself and my boys in the Lord's hands and off we will go to the Grand Canyon..

    Hope your fabric is ok

    By Blogger McIrish Annie, at 8/10/2006 09:37:00 AM  

  • I hope your day gets much much better, Judy. I have to admit, I got a good chuckle over the idea of a swinging plumber. Ewwww.

    FYI, I'm a terrible flyer who normally needs lots of drugs to get anywhere. It's not terrorists that get me, though (I guess growing up in the middle east will skew your perspective on that) but rather, good old fashioned plane crashes.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/10/2006 09:43:00 AM  

  • Thats bull! I hope that they didn't charge you for the second visit. And hopefully it's fixed for good now. Flying is still safer than driving. Hugs ...

    By Blogger Laurie Ann, at 8/10/2006 11:05:00 AM  

  • Judy - so sorry about your plumbing problems! I guess it could be worse - you could be having to wash all your clothes. At least this way you can get reacquainted with some of your fabric and figure out what quilts you want to make from it.

    As to flying - I can't help you there. I hate to fly for the same reasons you do. I'll drive somewhere always if there's any way I can choose between the two.

    By Blogger Patti, at 8/10/2006 12:32:00 PM  

  • Judy, I'm thinking that I just need to send a HUGE hug to you! So, please consider yourself hugged! :-)

    By Blogger Darlene, at 8/10/2006 12:59:00 PM  

  • Judy, I hope you aren't thinking you don't have reasons to cry and be upset! Of course, you do! I guess I'm glad I flew home last night, though I agree with Annie. I guess I'm a little fatalistic, too. When my time's up, it's up.

    I do not enjoy flying as much as I used to. The planes are crowded, the seats are small and uncomfortable, and my body is just achy all the time, so sitting in those seats makes it worse.

    By Blogger Susan , at 8/10/2006 01:04:00 PM  

  • HUGS to you! I'd have been boo-hooing right along with you. I dislike flying these days. Not because I'm afraid but because I hate the hassle involved now. So I drive when I can and fly only when necessary.

    By Blogger Nancy, at 8/10/2006 01:28:00 PM  

  • We've had some bad leaks so I feel for you! Luckily none have ever involved my fabric.

    I fly at least once or twice a month so it doesn't bother me but I was glad I read your post because I hadn't watched the news - I fly home from Mom's tomorrow and plan to get to the airport even earlier than normal.

    I'm sorry you weren't able to get home - I know it's difficult when you want to be there for your parents and it doesn't work out.

    By Blogger Mary Johnson, at 8/10/2006 07:36:00 PM  

  • Wow, your problem is even worse than I thought. That's what I get for reading your blog backwards. Great big hugs.

    By Blogger Shelina, at 8/10/2006 10:04:00 PM  

  • I don't like to fly, but it's because of the pressure during take-off and landing.
    If we live our lives the way we want, we win-they lose. We can't let them win.

    So sorry to read about your plumbing saga. Sometimes it seems like if it's not one thing, it's another.

    By Blogger Eileen, at 8/11/2006 04:38:00 AM  

  • I'm *hoping* that you can look back on this and laugh. Okay...maybe it'll take awhile. ;o)
    As far as plumber #1...WHAT?!?!?! What a freak! I'm thinking that I"d be talking to the company he works for. What kind of question is that...and how does one bring that up, casually, in conversation?!?!
    Today will be a better day. Just keep telling yourself that. And here's a (((HUG))) for good measure. :oD

    By Blogger Tracey, at 8/11/2006 05:29:00 AM  

  • Judy the swinger!...yeah, right!

    Laughing about the comment, but crying because of your problems. It'll get better.....yes, it will!

    Some people have a lot of nerve.

    By Blogger Saska, at 8/11/2006 05:53:00 PM  

  • test

    By Blogger Granny, at 8/27/2006 12:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home